Get your own Travel Accessories
You just can't ignore Sicily, if you are out to travel Italy. Sicily certainly is the place brimmed with captivating beauties, exotic sites, luring landscapes, seducing skylines, mesmeric mountains, bewitching beaches, oceanic charms, and lots more. If you are looking for loads of scenic beauty, Sicily has it all. Its pleasant climate and scenic beauty make it a perfect vacation & travel photography destination.
Separated from the mainland Italy by the Strait of Messina, Sicily is an exotic island, in west of the southern end of the Italian peninsula, in the Mediterranean Sea. Sicily also includes the Aeolian Islands, the Egadi Islands, the Lipari Islands, the Pelagie Islands, the Pantelleria Island, and Ustica Island. There certainly are numerous reasons to visit Sicily, but here are top 10 reasons.
1. Palermo, the capital of Sicily, is one of the major tourist traps of Sicily. Located on the north coast of the island, Palermo is known for churches, palaces, museums, theatres, and other remarkable sites. Some of the top attractions of the capital are ? Cathedral, Catacombe dei Cappuccini, Gesu Church, San Giovanni degli Eremiti, Cappella Palatina, Palazzo dei Normanni, Museo Archeologico, and Quattro Canti.
2. Taormina, a charming hillside town, is one of the main tourist resorts of Sicily. On the east coast of Sicily, about midway between Messina (ancient Messana) and Catania (ancient Catana), Taormina is home to some of the finest beaches of Sicily. Some of the attractions of Taormina are Giardini Naxos ? beach resort, Letojanni ? beach resort, Teatro Greco ? impressive open-air theatre, and Torre dell'Orogio ? clock tower.
3. Cefalu, an attractive city in the province of Palermo, is one of the major tourist attractions in the region. Located on the northern coast of Sicily, on the Tyrrhenian Sea, Cefalu is Sicily's main beach resort. Cefalu is known for its attractive Cathedral (Duomo) dominating the centre of town, old town streets, pretty harbour - Piazza Marina, and gorgeous beach. Cefalu is about 75 km east from the provincial capital and 185 km west of Messina.
4. Ragusa, a city in southern Italy, on the island of Sicily, is one of the well known tourist traps. The city is known for its impressive baroque architecture. Ragusa is one of eight jewels of Val di Noto region that have been listed among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Ragusa Ibla, which is home to most of the tourist sites, is famous for its narrow streets, steep winding steps, old churches, and fantastic views.
5. Catania, the economic center, is a great tourist attraction of Sicily. Located on the east coast of the island, at the foot of the active volcano Mount Etna, halfway between Messina and Siracusa, Catania is known for ancient monuments of Roman Age, baroque and historical churches, palaces, liberty style mansions, urban parks, and numerous other sites. It is also famous for its La Playa beach.
6. Syracuse (Siracusa) offers a nice mix of ancient and modern, on the eastern coast of Sicily. It is an attractive old town known for its Greek ruins. Once described by Cicero as "the greatest Greek city and the most beautiful of them all," the ancient center of Syracuse is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Neapolis is the ancient city that has the Greek Theatre, Quarries, Caves and Roman Amphitheatre. Other attractions of the town include Apollo Temple, Old Town on Ortygia Island, Cathedral, Piazza Del Duomo, Sanctuary Madonna Della Lacrime, Maniace Castle in Ortigia, and Ipogeo in Duomo Square.
7. Mount Etna or Etna Volcano certainly is one of the top reasons to visit Sicily. It's a "must see" site, widely known for its scenic beauty. One of the finest expressions of Scenic beauty, Etna is the tallest active volcano in Europe, on the east coast of Sicily, close to Messina and Catania. On top of the Etna volcano, you can enjoy fantastic views of ocean, or you can enjoy walking around the old crater, or you can enjoy skiing down the Etna.
8. Sicilian Beaches are the top attracts of Sicily. You can really find some of the most beautiful beaches in Sicily. The places known for beaches are Catania, Taormina, Cefalu, Eraclea Minoa, Ragusa, and the Aeolian Islands. La Playa beach (Catania) is an excellent beach. Mondello (near Palermo) is a very popular beache. Sabbie Nere (Vulcano) is the best beach on the Aeolian. Other notable beach resorts include Giardini Naxos and Letojanni (Taormina), and Saint Vito lo Capo, near Trapani.
9. Aeolian Islands (Isole Eolie), including Vulcano, Salina, Stromboli, Filicudi, Alicudi, and Panarea, is an archipelago of attractive islands in the Tyrrheanian Sea. Attracting up to 200,000 visitors annually, the Aeolian Islands are popular tourist destination in the summer. The islands have some of the fantastic sites and beaches. Vulcano is known for its fango baths. Lipari and its Museo Archeologico Regionale Eoliano are major attractions of the islands.
10. Sicilian (Italian) Foods & Wines surely are one of the top reasons to visit Sicily. You find a very wide rage of local and Italian foods & drinks in Sicily. Every city and town in Sicily has its own dishes as well as the more popular Italian foods. You can enjoy various local specialties in Sicily. You can also enjoy some of the finest Italian wines in Sicily.